Birdy Goes West
Our Family’s Cross-Country Adventure
150 square feet of living space
8 national parks/monuments
4 HAPPY CAMPERS!
In 2015, our family took our first big, cross-country road trip with our travel trailer, Birdy. Here’s a list of all of the blog posts, sorted by state:
- This post describes the first day of our journey, as we left our home state.
- A roadside BBQ joint is described in a post about Texas.
- I complain about the toll roads in a post about the lessons we learned on our trip.
- We stayed overnight on our way home at the Elk City KOA, which I haven’t reviewed.
- Interesting stops along Interstate-40 were mentioned in the post Texas: The Real Gateway to the West.
- More roadside attractions were pictured the post Route 66 Roadside Attractions.
- The Cadillac Ranch outside of Amarillo was a BIG hit with our family. Read about and see a video of it here.
- We stayed at the Amarillo RV Ranch, reviewed in this post.
- We really loved Seeing Santa Fe.
- We enjoyed a short hike at the Petroglyph National Monument
- Some roadside attractions are shown in this post
- We stayed at the KOA in Santa Fe, the USA RV Park in Gallup, and the American RV Park in Albuquerque. I reviewed the three campgrounds in one post.
- We spent two days exploring the beautiful city of Sedona, which became one of our favorite places.
- While in Sedona, we stayed at a beautiful RV park, Rancho Sedona.
- We drove through the Painted Desert and Petrified Forest National Parks, describe in this post.
- We took a hike on the Keyhole Sink trail in Flagstaff, but I am not sure it ever made it into any of the posts.
- We loved the beautiful and interesting roadside attractions shown here.
- Of course, we visited the Grand Canyon! We especially loved the Star Party astronomy night.
- We stayed in the Grand Canyon Trailer Village and reviewed it in this post.
- We spent two days exploring Sequoia National Park. One post is mostly about the beautiful trees and a hike up Moro Rock. Another post describes a hike to Tokopah Falls.
- While visiting Sequoia, we stayed at Sequoia RV Ranch in Three Rivers, CA. You can find my review here.
- We spent four days exploring Yosemite National Park. One post describes some of the greatest hits of Yosemite Valley. Another posts focuses on a trip up to Tuolumne Meadow. One of our favorite experiences in Yosemite was floating the Merced River. Finally, there’s a post about Glacier Points and tips for planning your visit to Yosemite.
- While visiting Yosemite, we stayed at Yosemite Ridge RV Park near Groveland, CA. You can find my review here.
- We spent three amazing days in San Francisco. One post focuses on Fisherman’s Wharf, the Golden Gate Bridge, and a trip downtown. Another post shows the Pacific Ocean and Haight-Ashbury.
- Just north of San Francisco is Muir Woods National Monument, which was one of my favorite places of the trip.
- While visiting San Francisco, we stayed at San Francisco RV Resort in Pacifica, CA. Find my review of this lovely campground here.
- Of course, there were plenty of roadside attractions in California, too.
- The folks at the RV Family Travel Atlas podcast interviewed me about our trip on episode 48: Dispatches from Glacier and Yosemite. Check it out here.
- I’ve also contributed to their Campground of the Week podcast. This episode includes a full review of the Rancho Sedona RV Park in Arizona and a discussion of our Sedona favorites.
Travels with Birdy YouTube Channel
- Find videos of Moro Rock and Cadillac Ranch on our fledgling YouTube Channel.
25 Lessons Learned
- When you take your first cross-country road trip with your RV, you’re bound to learn plenty of lesson. Here are my reflections of lessons learned on our 25-day journey.